Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Work, To wear or not to wear fragrance?

As I sit at my desk and wonder about the scents that surround me, I ask. Do we all even bother to think about what our work space smell like. We spend most of our week at work and yet, it is one of those areas that we never think about when it comes to fragrance. Unfortunately, in a world were so many people are allergic to scents and a “fragrance free” work place is the norm. It’s almost quite depressing to think that the place where we spend so much of our daily life, lacks the personality, the comfort that scent can bring to us.


My immediate work space smells like my lotions and the occasional spritz that I put on from the perfume I may carry on my purse that week. But I do try to keep it to a minimal as not to offend anyone. That being said, I do work with someone who before you get to her workspace you can smell what perfume she is wearing. I love that. I know that this may cause grief or even discomfort for some people I think the fact that she uses fragrance to enhance her day is admirable. I love her abandon of the rules and her boldness as she wears what her heart desires in a world where wearing any noticeable scent to work is taboo.

Other scents that occasionally drift to my work space is the smell of food. As people go about their day and eat at their desk, I get to enjoy how diverse people can be just by the smells coming from the food they eat. I can be transported to the Caribbean, Italy, India, China, or down the street to the local burger place. One of my favorite ones is every now and then the smell of warm buttery popcorn makes its way to my desk. Popcorn to me will always be one of those nostalgic scents..aaaaahhh to be a child again and experience the big screen for the first time. Wonderful memories.

I say, wear what makes you happy. Enjoy the scents that bring joy to your life, but if at work, do it in moderation where both you and everyone around you is happy and maybe you can transform with the beauty of your scent someone who before you came along , lived a “fragrance free” life.

2 comments:

  1. Nice read. I think philosophy pure grace is amazing for work. Are there any others you would suggest? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For work i love wearing, Donna Karan Cashmere Mist, Gap Close and Sara Jessica Parker Lovely. These three perfumes are light easy to wear and affordable. They also smell really yummy.

    ReplyDelete